Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Vietnam

Fictionalized short stories I wrote about my time in Vietnam.
 
The Sergeant           Ambush
 
 

Poetry

 
 
 
 
whistle of a shell
everyone dives for a hole
always on alert
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
daily monsoon rain
cricket in its tiny cage
sings to girl's delight
 
 
 
 
 
Trapped inside
by monsoon rain
'không có trường học hôm nay',
('no school today')
she smiled
listening
to her cricket
in its little
wooden cage
sing its song
for her
 
 
 
Haiku




seven days furlough
mad dash round hilly Hong Kong
calm Buddhist temple




beside the dike path
stench of distended bodies
sunlit rice paddies
 
 
 
 
 
struggling to survive
Vietnam, tet offensive
Beatles sing 'Hey Jude'
 
 
 
 
 
 
I've served my time
in hell
travel orders in my hand
home in thirty days
 
Now my fear
is heightened
all I can do
is
 
wait  
 
 
 
The monsoon
seems forever,
showers, sun,
and downpours,
for weeks on end.
Lush land of rice
and ageless
forests blend.



 
 
____________________________
 

Post Vietnam

 
 Haiku




 



over and over ~
surviving the same firefight ~
'neath an Asian moon






unlearning combat ~
an impossibility ~
dreams may terrify




combat took my friend ~
we chat on our daily stroll ~
crimson leaves fade


 
 
 
 
soldiers lie down
sleep the eternal dream
only grass remains
 
 
 
Black stone scars green grass ~
Polished granite a mirror ~
The living, the dead.



--------------------------------
a boy's name, chiseled ~
into polished black granite
old man's reflection




chiseled names
on black granite barrier
tears water the lawn





War

that soulless war
an indelible scar 






 
I think the Tanka below is the best I've written so far. I tried to convey the idea that staring at his young face in the granite, while he stared back, swept away the years from my wrinkled face. I hope I succeeded.



 
 
 

VVA Memorial

touch the name
memories flow through me
no barrier between
arm in arm, old and young
no distance or time intrudes 

 

2 comments:

  1. A very telling and sensitive poem, Hap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Catherine. Your opinion is gold, as far as I'm concerned.

      Delete